Itchen Spitfires Running Club Championship
What are the Itchen Spitfires Running Club Championships? – The Club Championships is a series of events covering distances from 1 mile up to Half Marathon, where you get the chance to see how much you can improve over the course of the 6 months in which they take place. In December we hold an End of Year Celebration evening, where medals will be given to those who complete the championships, along with some special awards for those who win certain categories.
But I’m not very fast compared to others that are my age so there is no chance I could win…NEVER FEAR, as EVERYONE can (and should) enter no matter what times you run, or what your experience (although you will need to be able to run up to half marathon distance by October). It is important to know that this year’s championships will be bigger, better, and more open than ever before, meaning ANYONE really could win any of the awards available
Which events do I need to enter?
- 1 Mile – will be held on Southampton Common on both 19.07.17 at 18:45 or 01.08.17 at 18:45. Both events will be the same route.
- Parkrun – You must run at least one Parkrun in September at either Southampton or Netley Parkruns. If you run more than one Gillam will take your best time. You may run all 5 weekends if you wish.
- 5 mile club run – You must run one of the two 5 mile club runs on either Monday 14th August or Thursday 24th August (during club session). You must marshall the other event. You must notify Gil if you cannot marshall the other event.
- 10km race – D-Day 10k (Portsmouth) 04.06.17, Alresford 10k 18.06.17 or Wyvern 10k 09.07.17
- Half Marathon/Marathon – Salisbury Half Marathon – 01.10.17. Bournemouth Half Marathon – 08.10.17. Bournemouth Marathon – 08.10.17. Solent Half Marathon – 15.10.17. Gosport Half Marathon – 19.11.17.
Why can’t I just enter whichever 10km or Half Marathon I wish? Gillam has chosen these events so that everyone has the same time to train between races.
What awards are available?
Most improved in EACH age category over the course of the championships (1 male & 1 female).
Most improved male and female overall.
Biggest PB improvement for parkrun.
EVERYONE who completes required events will get a bespoke medal, not matter what.
Who can enter? – All registered Itchen Spitfires Running Club members can enter.
How do I enter? – In order to enter you must complete the survey before the 1st June.
You then officially enter each event you have chosen as you would with any race (except the 1 mile & 5 mile events)
When do I have to enter by? The survery must be fully completed and submitted before the 1st June
How much does it cost to enter? Nothing, it’s free!!! (Well, just your entry fees in to the official races)
Anything else I need to know?
- You MUST choose at least one event / date from each discipline (1m,parkrun, 5m, 10k, HM) Note: You can choose more than one from each if you wish and your best time will be used.
- The DEADLINE to enter is 1st June (Once the deadline passes Gil will not take any further entries)
- Once you have entered you can change your mind on events but you MUST email Gil to notify me at least a week before the event you initially entered.
- If you miss an event and have not previously notified Gil, you will be disqualified (Gil will not make changes once you have missed the event).
- You must submit your current parkrun / 5k PB time within the survey
- You may run as many of the September parkruns as you wish. Your best time will be recorded.
- You may only run one of the two 5 mile events as you will be expected to help marshal the other (these are club nights)
- The AGE you submit must be your age on the 1st June 2017.
- You must wear an Itchen Spitfires top during the race (only exception is if its a charity run, you may then wear the charity top). You also must enter every race as an Itchen Spitfire.
Please see the FAQ page